Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Los Muebles- Furniture

Hi All, 

Big news this week… I found a house! I hope I am not jinxing myself by writing about this but I am just so excited so here it goes… my casa nueva is in the center of town, right next to a Sarita (delicious ice cream place… sorry belly and thighs) and across from the Centro de Salud (health center) so the location is perfect. The front room of the house has some type of clay shingle, which keeps the room super cool and is going to be so clutch during the coming months when the heat is unbearable. My house is also coming fully furnished. I have a fridge, microwave, water dispenser, stove/oven (living large), a couch, loveseat and chair, dining room table, small tv in my room with cable that I do not have to pay for, two bathrooms with actual toilets (no running water except for a couple hours in the morning but so much better than a latrine) and a little courtyard full of plants that makes it look like a jungle. I also made my first purchase for my new casa, which was an awesome hammock that is huge and pink so I am extremely excited to hang that sucker up and relax all day (I am considering hanging my mosquito net around the hammock instead of my bed and just sleeping there… might give me serious back problems later in life but I think I am willing to risk it). The one drawback is that the house is right on the river so apparently the mosquito situation is a little intense (I feel like if I can deal with the scorpions, I can kinda deal with anything but I guess we’ll find out just how bad it gets). If this is the only drawback though, I consider myself extremely lucky! Hopefully everything goes smoothly with getting it approved by Peace Corps and I can move in in the beginning of February (just in time for our feria here and superbowl weekend… woo for American pastimes!) Other perks about moving out of the aldea are: 1. More people to talk to and practice Spanish with 2. Easier access to everyday necessities such as food and water 3. Closer proximity to my sitemate, Felicia as well as the municipal building where I am trying to find work (I though I left the states so I wouldn’t have to job search…fail.) 4. I am really hoping this takes some of the stress off of the relationship with my host mom. I think she is a really nice person and am hoping that we will be able to work better together once we have our own space 5. I can keep things exactly how I like them (if you know me at all then you know this is probably what I am most excited about… I am so cool.) Overall, I am pretty pumped and can’t wait to put up some pictures on face book so everyone can see where I will be living (hopefully).

In other news, this past Friday we had a meeting with the Peace Corps office about two programs that are going to be discontinued (one of them, of course, is the program I am in… go figure). It really is not going to effect any of the current volunteers too much in the projects that we have been assigned but it will effect us in that if we start a project with a lot of potential, there won’t be anyone coming in after us to keep it going so that is a bummer. It also means that we probably will not be getting any more volunteers out in the east so after the group that came in before my group leaves in October, our number will dwindle to 9 in the whole region, which should be buckets of fun. Luckily, I will still have a couple relatively cool people near  so I am sure we will all be just fine and that is like 7 months away so I am gonna go ahead and not worry about that until I absolutely have to (that mentality has been working out for all the problems I’ve faced so far so why stop now?) The meeting was also a good excuse to get to see lots of other volunteers so I can’t complain about that either. We all spent the night after the meeting in Antigua and had a lot of fun doing that. The next day I went to Emily’s with Lexi to celebrate Em’s host nephews 2 year birthday (I have learned that we do not know how to throw parties in the states…piñatas are so underrated). It was so much fun and I showed all of the guests (there were SO many people there) that I can blow up balloons and pop them with my butt faster than both Brynna and Lexi (I am realizing so many hidden talents here, its eye-opening).

Okay, that is all the news I have for right now. I hope everyone had a great weekend and hopefully it won’t be so long before I get a chance to post another blog (this one was very delayed and I apologize). Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment