Friday, January 7, 2011

Llorar- To Cry

Feliz 2011 everyone! I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday and is excited that 2010 is over (mostly because of my hatred towards even numbers… that’s not weird). My holiday season was interesting, to say the least, and I must admit that I am a little relieved it is over. Being away from  home for  Christmas for the first time in my life was a little tough (Emily cried on a bus full of Guatemalans… it was awkward) but I think I am ready for whatever obstacles this next year has in store for me (it’s easy to say that now) so bring it on 2011!

For Christmas I was able to spend some time with Emily and her host family, which was awesome because they are super sweet and have tons of energy so there’s never a dull moment. Emily and I both got some snazzy new wedges (shoes) from her family and they are very chapina so I am excited to buy a matching shirt, eyeliner and earrings so I can rock them at the next baile (dance). On one of the buses that Emily and I were on, we were obnoxiously singing feliz navidad at the top of our lungs for the majority of the trek (the other passengers did not love us) but then all of a sudden I look over and Emily is crying. I was pretty alarmed by this sudden change in emotion so I asked her what was wrong and through sobs she told me that she was crying because a family just got on our bus and she was sad that we weren’t home with our families. I went from heckling her about crying on a bus to tearing up in about 3 seconds (I didn't actually cry though, don't worry). I guess it was just the first time it really hit us that we were riding on a chicken bus in Guatemala by ourselves and not at home with our families. We instantly started laughing at how ridiculous we must  have looked and I’m pretty sure we scared all the rest of the Guatemalans because they were inching away from us and deboarding the bus as quickly as possible (I’d be scared too if two crazy gringas were sitting next to me screaming the words to a song, crying hysterically and then laughing maniacally all within the span of 5 minutes… musta seemed a little odd).  Other than that little embarrassing moment though, Christmas was a lot of fun and I am glad I got to experience my first one away from home in Guatemala :)

Now on to New Years… so fun! First, I got a chance to go back to my host family in Sumpango and see them, which was the best (although it kinda made me sad because I don’t live with them anymore and only get to see them once in a while). When I rang the doorbell my four brothers came running outside screaming my name, it was so cute! Once I got inside my madre told me that they had been doing that every time the doorbell rang since the 23rd because I didn’t tell them exactly when I was coming and they kept thinking it was me. We all hung out for a while and then my madre told me that she had all the ingredients ready to make fettuccini alfredo, which is what Emily and I made for my family during training and she knew it was my favorite so she got it for me. It was really hard to say goodbye to them but I am so happy I got to visit and hang out and I definitely won’t wait so long before visiting them again. After that I headed to Patzun for the night and Thomas made some delicious beef barbecue (you’re allowed to eat like a pig during the holidays, right?) The next day we headed out for new years, which was a ton of fun. I got to see a lot of the people from my training group, who I haven’t seen in two months so it was really nice to catch up with all of them.

Coming back to my site this week was a little tough, I won’t lie. Things have been getting progressively worse with the family that I live with (which is horribly inconvenient seeing as my host mom also happens to be the president of my organization…no dice) and it’s basically to the point now where they just completely ignore me. Normally this would suit me just fine because I have no problem entertaining myself and keeping busy but it’s proven to be pretty tricky because I did join the peace corps to actually do things and be productive (go figure) and it’s been a challenge to say the least. I am really excited that the holidays are over for the simple fact that I think now it will be easier to find other groups to work with and other ways to get involved in the community (as well as be around people that want to talk to me and get to know me… seems like an unreasonable request, I know, but a girl can dream).

Well that is the update on my life at the moment. I am off to write a letter to my host mom, hopefully explaining my frustrations and hopes for reconciliation (since apparently hand gestures and my five word vocabulary didn’t get the point across last time… can’t imagine why). I hope everyone has a superb weekend :) Talk to you all soon!

1 comment:

  1. Kris! It sounds like your holidays were exciting to the say the least. I can't imagine your host mom not liking you.... I actually can't imagine anyone not liking you! anyways, i miss you alot and me & lyss fantasized about the possibility that maybe when you're done the peace corps, you'll move to hoboken and like live down the street---or with us, whatever. but anyways, i know lyss misses you a ton, she's been talking about you more and more frequently. and i certainly miss you as well! here's to a great 2011--i'm sure yours will be incredibly eventful.

    love you! -chel

    ReplyDelete